Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Here we top baked potatoes with sharp Cheddar and broccoli (use up those leftovers!) in a crowd-pleasing favorite. Make it a Meal: Serve with Mixed Green Salad with Chive Dressing.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup cooked small broccoli florets
- Salt & cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. (Or, use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
- Heat 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming, about 4 minutes.
- Stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a cup until smooth. Add to the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Distribute broccoli over the baked potatoes, top with the cheese sauce and serve.
Per serving: 269 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 989 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (56% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1994