Cheesy Broccoli Baked Potatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 1994
Here we top baked potatoes with sharp Cheddar and broccoli (use up those leftovers!) in a crowd-pleasing favorite. Make it a Meal: Serve with Mixed Green Salad with Chive Dressing.
- 4 medium russet potatoes
- 1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup cooked small broccoli florets
- Salt & cayenne pepper, to taste
- Pierce potatoes all over with a fork. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft, about 20 minutes. (Or, use the “potato setting” on your microwave and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions.)
- Heat 3/4 cup of the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until steaming, about 4 minutes.
- Stir together flour and the remaining 1/4 cup milk in a cup until smooth. Add to the hot milk, stirring constantly until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season with salt and cayenne.
- Distribute broccoli over the baked potatoes, top with the cheese sauce and serve.
Per serving: 269 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 19 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 4 g fiber; 218 mg sodium; 989 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (56% daily value), Potassium (28% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv), Vitamin A (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 1994