Cheese & Tomato Pizza
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Sometimes pizza from your own oven can be quicker than takeout and it’s usually a whole lot healthier because you control everything that goes into it. Enjoy this simple cheese pizza as is or add toppings to your heart’s content.
- Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (see Note)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on one of the crusts. Distribute half of the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the top is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately garnish with a few basil leaves. Repeat with the remaining crust and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 267 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Folate (26% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less