Cheese & Tomato Pizza
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Sometimes pizza from your own oven can be quicker than takeout and it’s usually a whole lot healthier because you control everything that goes into it. Enjoy this simple cheese pizza as is or add toppings to your heart’s content.
- Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (see Note)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on one of the crusts. Distribute half of the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the top is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately garnish with a few basil leaves. Repeat with the remaining crust and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 267 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Folate (26% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique