Cheese & Tomato Pizza
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Sometimes pizza from your own oven can be quicker than takeout and it’s usually a whole lot healthier because you control everything that goes into it. Enjoy this simple cheese pizza as is or add toppings to your heart’s content.
- Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (see Note)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on one of the crusts. Distribute half of the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the top is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately garnish with a few basil leaves. Repeat with the remaining crust and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 267 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Folate (26% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less