Cheese & Tomato Pizza
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Sometimes pizza from your own oven can be quicker than takeout and it’s usually a whole lot healthier because you control everything that goes into it. Enjoy this simple cheese pizza as is or add toppings to your heart’s content.
- Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (see Note)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on one of the crusts. Distribute half of the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the top is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately garnish with a few basil leaves. Repeat with the remaining crust and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 267 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Folate (26% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation