Cheese & Tomato Pizza
From EatingWell: EatingWell Fast & Flavorful Meatless Meals (2011)
Sometimes pizza from your own oven can be quicker than takeout and it’s usually a whole lot healthier because you control everything that goes into it. Enjoy this simple cheese pizza as is or add toppings to your heart’s content.
- Cornmeal for dusting baking sheets
- 1 pound prepared whole-wheat pizza dough (see Note)
- 1 cup prepared tomato sauce
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Several fresh basil leaves
- Set oven rack in lowest position; preheat to 500°F or the highest setting. Sprinkle 2 large baking sheets with cornmeal.
- Divide pizza dough in half. Roll out one half of the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a prepared baking sheet. Bake until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven. Repeat with the second portion of dough.
- Spread 1/2 cup tomato sauce on one of the crusts. Distribute half of the mozzarella slices on top, season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake the pizza until the top is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately garnish with a few basil leaves. Repeat with the remaining crust and toppings.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Look for whole-wheat pizza-dough balls at your supermarket. Check the ingredient list to make sure the dough doesn’t contain any hydrogenated oils.
Per serving: 267 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 3 g fiber; 587 mg sodium; 153 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% daily value), Folate (26% dv), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique