Cheese & Scallion Puff
This savory egg and cheese puff is more akin to a pudding than a soufflé, so don't dismay when it loses some of its height.
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 10 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart soufflé dish or similar baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring milk and scallions to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, slowly sprinkle in cornmeal. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, Parmesan, Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- About 45 minutes before serving, beat the 7 egg whites and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the puff until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 160 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 506 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique