Cheese & Scallion Puff
This savory egg and cheese puff is more akin to a pudding than a soufflé, so don't dismay when it loses some of its height.
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 10 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart soufflé dish or similar baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring milk and scallions to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, slowly sprinkle in cornmeal. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, Parmesan, Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- About 45 minutes before serving, beat the 7 egg whites and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the puff until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 160 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 506 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique