Cheese & Scallion Puff
This savory egg and cheese puff is more akin to a pudding than a soufflé, so don't dismay when it loses some of its height.
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 10 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart soufflé dish or similar baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring milk and scallions to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, slowly sprinkle in cornmeal. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, Parmesan, Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- About 45 minutes before serving, beat the 7 egg whites and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the puff until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 160 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 506 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique