Cheese & Scallion Puff
This savory egg and cheese puff is more akin to a pudding than a soufflé, so don't dismay when it loses some of its height.
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1/4 cups finely chopped scallions
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature, or 10 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 3-quart soufflé dish or similar baking dish with cooking spray.
- Bring milk and scallions to a simmer in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, slowly sprinkle in cornmeal. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture has thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Whisk in egg yolks, Parmesan, Cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- About 45 minutes before serving, beat the 7 egg whites and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture. With a rubber spatula, fold in remaining whites. Spoon batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.
- Bake the puff until puffed and golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Return to room temperature before continuing.
Per serving: 160 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein; 2 g fiber; 506 mg sodium; 271 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique