From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These warm cheese puffs should be slightly crisp on the outside. Perfect for entertaining, they can be made ahead and frozen, then popped into the oven as guests arrive.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon. Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes at 350Â°F.
Per puff: 24 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993