From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These warm cheese puffs should be slightly crisp on the outside. Perfect for entertaining, they can be made ahead and frozen, then popped into the oven as guests arrive.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon. Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes at 350Â°F.
Per puff: 24 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993