From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These warm cheese puffs should be slightly crisp on the outside. Perfect for entertaining, they can be made ahead and frozen, then popped into the oven as guests arrive.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon. Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes at 350Â°F.
Per puff: 24 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993