From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These warm cheese puffs should be slightly crisp on the outside. Perfect for entertaining, they can be made ahead and frozen, then popped into the oven as guests arrive.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon. Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes at 350Â°F.
Per puff: 24 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993