From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These warm cheese puffs should be slightly crisp on the outside. Perfect for entertaining, they can be made ahead and frozen, then popped into the oven as guests arrive.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites, divided
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Combine water, butter, oil, salt and cayenne in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat and add flour. Stir with a wooden spoon until it forms a smooth paste. Return the mixture to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 3 minutes, to dry the paste slightly. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
- Lightly whisk together whole eggs and 3 egg whites. Beat one quarter of the egg mixture into the flour paste with a wooden spoon until absorbed. Repeat with 3 more additions of the egg mixture, until the paste is smooth and glossy. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheese.
- Drop 1-inch mounds 1 1/2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets, using a pastry bag or spoon. Lightly beat the remaining egg white and brush it over each puff. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Bake, one sheet at a time, until the puffs are firm and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze, well-wrapped, for up to 2 months. Reheat for 10 minutes at 350Â°F.
Per puff: 24 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 46 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993