From EatingWell: September/October 1996
Cheesy grits are a wonderful accompaniment to roast meats and vegetables; or try them with poached eggs for breakfast.
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat milk
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup quick grits
- 1/4 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- Combine milk, water and salt in a saucepan over medium heat; heat until almost boiling. Reduce the heat to low, whisk in grits and cook, whisking constantly, until they start to thicken, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in 2 tablespoons cheese. Cover and let stand until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the grits are creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Divide between 2 bowls, sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese and serve.
Per serving: 183 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 1 g fiber; 217 mg sodium; 223 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (24% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1/2 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- September/October 1996
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)