Cheesy cornsticks are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite soup or chili.
- 1/3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Lightly oil a cast-iron cornstick mold or muffin pan or coat it with cooking spray.
- Combine milk, egg white and oil in a measuring cup; stir briskly with a fork until mixed. Whisk together flour, cornmeal, cheese, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center and add the milk mixture. Stir just until combined.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the batter into each of 8 cornstick molds or divide the batter among 4 muffin cups. Bake until set and lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: 158 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 1 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 59 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique