Cheddar-Stuffed Mini Meatloaves with Chipotle Glaze
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Individual meatloaves not only take the guesswork out of portion size, they cook quicker than a large loaf. Look for ground chipotle in the spice section of the market—it gives the glaze a hit of smoke and spice. Serve with roasted broccoli and brown rice tossed with cilantro.
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup fine, dry, whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, preferably no-salt-added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 8- to 12-ounce small baking dishes, such as mini loaf pans, with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (Alternatively, make freeform meatloaves and bake directly on the baking sheet.)
- Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and place in the prepared baking dishes. Make a 1 1/2-inch-deep indentation with your finger down the length of each meatloaf. Stuff each with 2 tablespoons cheese and pinch the edges closed to seal.
- Combine the remaining 4 tablespoons ketchup and chipotle in a bowl; spread over each loaf.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a loaf registers 165°F, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 mini loaf pans or a baking sheet
Per serving: 382 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 148 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (49% daily value), Iron (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- January/February 2012