Cheddar-Stuffed Mini Meatloaves with Chipotle Glaze
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Individual meatloaves not only take the guesswork out of portion size, they cook quicker than a large loaf. Look for ground chipotle in the spice section of the market—it gives the glaze a hit of smoke and spice. Serve with roasted broccoli and brown rice tossed with cilantro.
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup fine, dry, whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, preferably no-salt-added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 8- to 12-ounce small baking dishes, such as mini loaf pans, with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (Alternatively, make freeform meatloaves and bake directly on the baking sheet.)
- Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and place in the prepared baking dishes. Make a 1 1/2-inch-deep indentation with your finger down the length of each meatloaf. Stuff each with 2 tablespoons cheese and pinch the edges closed to seal.
- Combine the remaining 4 tablespoons ketchup and chipotle in a bowl; spread over each loaf.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a loaf registers 165°F, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 mini loaf pans or a baking sheet
Per serving: 382 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 148 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (49% daily value), Iron (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2012