Cheddar-Stuffed Mini Meatloaves with Chipotle Glaze
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Individual meatloaves not only take the guesswork out of portion size, they cook quicker than a large loaf. Look for ground chipotle in the spice section of the market—it gives the glaze a hit of smoke and spice. Serve with roasted broccoli and brown rice tossed with cilantro.
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup fine, dry, whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, preferably no-salt-added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 8- to 12-ounce small baking dishes, such as mini loaf pans, with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (Alternatively, make freeform meatloaves and bake directly on the baking sheet.)
- Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and place in the prepared baking dishes. Make a 1 1/2-inch-deep indentation with your finger down the length of each meatloaf. Stuff each with 2 tablespoons cheese and pinch the edges closed to seal.
- Combine the remaining 4 tablespoons ketchup and chipotle in a bowl; spread over each loaf.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a loaf registers 165°F, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 mini loaf pans or a baking sheet
Per serving: 382 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 148 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (49% daily value), Iron (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2012