Cheddar-Stuffed Mini Meatloaves with Chipotle Glaze
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Individual meatloaves not only take the guesswork out of portion size, they cook quicker than a large loaf. Look for ground chipotle in the spice section of the market—it gives the glaze a hit of smoke and spice. Serve with roasted broccoli and brown rice tossed with cilantro.
- 1 pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup fine, dry, whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 6 tablespoons ketchup, preferably no-salt-added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat four 8- to 12-ounce small baking dishes, such as mini loaf pans, with cooking spray and place on a rimmed baking sheet. (Alternatively, make freeform meatloaves and bake directly on the baking sheet.)
- Combine beef, onion, breadcrumbs, egg, 2 tablespoons ketchup, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper in a bowl; mix well. Divide the mixture into 4 even portions and place in the prepared baking dishes. Make a 1 1/2-inch-deep indentation with your finger down the length of each meatloaf. Stuff each with 2 tablespoons cheese and pinch the edges closed to seal.
- Combine the remaining 4 tablespoons ketchup and chipotle in a bowl; spread over each loaf.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven. Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of a loaf registers 165°F, 20 to 30 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 mini loaf pans or a baking sheet
Per serving: 382 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 6 g mono); 148 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 37 g protein; 2 g fiber; 378 mg sodium; 468 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (49% daily value), Iron (23% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Super Bowl
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 2012