Cheddar, Scallion & Bacon Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we use low-fat milk and flavor the mashed potatoes with sharp Cheddar cheese and a little bacon. For a pretty presentation, sprinkle with extra scallions.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir milk, cheese, bacon, scallions and pepper into the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 196 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2013