Cheddar, Scallion & Bacon Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy mashed potato recipe, we use low-fat milk and flavor the mashed potatoes with sharp Cheddar cheese and a little bacon. For a pretty presentation, sprinkle with extra scallions.
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat milk, warmed
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Black or white pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, if desired, and cut into 2-inch chunks. Place the potatoes and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Add cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until potatoes are very tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain well.
- Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher, an electric hand-held mixer or by working through a ricer.
- Stir milk, cheese, bacon, scallions and pepper into the potatoes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Transfer to a slow cooker, cover and keep on the “warm” setting for up to 2 hours.
Per serving: 196 calories; 4 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 355 mg sodium; 606 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (21% daily value), Potassium (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2013