From EatingWell: December 1997
Crunchy cornmeal and sharp Cheddar pair perfectly in this savory shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat (not nonfat) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in Cheddar.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil and process until smooth. Add the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough clumps together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently several times. Divide in half, form each piece into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies, using a 2 1/2-inch round serrated or other decorative cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (Reroll and cut scraps.) Bake the shortbread, 1 sheet at a time, until golden and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per cookie: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997