From EatingWell: December 1997
Crunchy cornmeal and sharp Cheddar pair perfectly in this savory shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat (not nonfat) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in Cheddar.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil and process until smooth. Add the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough clumps together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently several times. Divide in half, form each piece into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies, using a 2 1/2-inch round serrated or other decorative cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (Reroll and cut scraps.) Bake the shortbread, 1 sheet at a time, until golden and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per cookie: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997