From EatingWell: December 1997
Crunchy cornmeal and sharp Cheddar pair perfectly in this savory shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat (not nonfat) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in Cheddar.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil and process until smooth. Add the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough clumps together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently several times. Divide in half, form each piece into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies, using a 2 1/2-inch round serrated or other decorative cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (Reroll and cut scraps.) Bake the shortbread, 1 sheet at a time, until golden and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per cookie: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997