From EatingWell: December 1997
Crunchy cornmeal and sharp Cheddar pair perfectly in this savory shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat (not nonfat) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in Cheddar.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil and process until smooth. Add the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough clumps together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently several times. Divide in half, form each piece into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies, using a 2 1/2-inch round serrated or other decorative cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (Reroll and cut scraps.) Bake the shortbread, 1 sheet at a time, until golden and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per cookie: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997