From EatingWell: December 1997
Crunchy cornmeal and sharp Cheddar pair perfectly in this savory shortbread.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup low-fat (not nonfat) cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a medium bowl. Stir in Cheddar.
- Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil and process until smooth. Add the flour mixture and pulse just until the dough clumps together.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently several times. Divide in half, form each piece into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes or up to 2 days.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface to a thickness of 1/8 inch. Cut out cookies, using a 2 1/2-inch round serrated or other decorative cookie cutter. Arrange on prepared baking sheets. (Reroll and cut scraps.) Bake the shortbread, 1 sheet at a time, until golden and firm, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per cookie: 35 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 110 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997