Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits with Chives
From EatingWell: July/August 2008
These chive-flecked cornmeal biscuits taste best made with extra-sharp Cheddar, but any type of Cheddar will work.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal, preferably stone-ground (see Shopping Tip)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon honey, (optional)
- 3-5 tablespoons low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in a food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Add cheese and butter and pulse again until the mixture looks pebbly with small oat-size lumps. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add sour cream, chives and honey (if using) and stir with a rubber spatula until almost combined. Add 3 tablespoons milk, stirring, just until the dough comes together; add more milk as needed until the dough holds together in a shaggy mass. Don’t overmix.
- On a lightly floured surface, lightly pat the dough into a rectangle about 9 by 5 inches and just over 1/2 inch thick. Using a large chef’s knife, divide the dough evenly into 12 biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake the biscuits until lightly browned on top, 14 to 16 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping tip: Find stone-ground cornmeal in the natural-food sections of supermarkets, in natural-foods stores or online at kingarthurflour.com and bobsredmill.com.
Per serving: 131 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 318 mg sodium; 39 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, other
- July/August 2008