Cheddar Cauliflower Soup
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Start your meal off with a bowl of this satisfying, easy cheesy cauliflower soup.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped cauliflower florets (from 1 medium head)
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white or black pepper
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower, 2 cups milk, water, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is soft, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk and flour in a small bowl. When the cauliflower is soft, remove the bay leaf and stir in the milk mixture. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until the soup has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in cheese and lemon juice.
Per serving: 186 calories; 11 g fat (5 g sat, 3 g mono); 27 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 2 g fiber; 488 mg sodium; 198 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Calcium (27% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010