I have so many potatoes in my root cellar, and needed to use up some milk, so I made this over the weekend. I love this recipe! Leftovers were great too.
From EatingWell: December 2006
Our cheese- and beer-lover's potato soup has only a fraction of the fat and sodium of a traditional recipe. We use low-fat milk and only a little oil and keep the flavor strong with zesty, sharp Cheddar cheese. Precooked diced potatoes, which you can get at many supermarkets, keep this recipe super speedy. Regular diced red potatoes also work—you'll just need to increase the cooking time.
21 Reviews for Cheddar-Ale Soup
Making this soup only using the recipe is bland. However adding cayenne pepper kicks it up several notches. I also add more cheddar maybe a full 2 cups, i never measure, guesstimate. Bags of pre-cooked pots sound gross to me so I use only Yukon gold approx. half a 5 lb. bag. Puree this soup makes it quite boring, leaving some soft potato chucks in it makes for variety. I also found adding chopped carrots, celery and onions was a nice touch. I have made this soup many many times; using the recipe exactly how it is is a great base and adding to it make this soup even better!!
We always add a few splashes of malt vinegar to our potato soup at serving. Based on some of the comments, I'm thinking that might perk up this soup as well.
This soup is extremely tasty! I could only find frozen red potatoes with pepper and sea salt so that may have helped with the flavor for those who found the soup bland. I also added some red pepper flakes and sauted with the onions. I mashed the potatoes lightly to leave some chunks.... big potato fan!!! Might use less next time if I make as a side dish.... thick and delish!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)