Chard with Shallots, Pancetta & Walnuts
For this simple sautéed chard, flavored with rich-tasting pancetta and walnuts, we prefer the milder taste of green chard.
- 2 thin slices pancetta, (1 1/2 ounces), diced (see Tip)
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add shallots, chard stems and thyme to the pan drippings and cook, stirring, until the shallots begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chard leaves, water and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook until tender, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat; stir in the pancetta, walnuts and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Pancetta is an unsmoked Italian bacon usually found in the deli section of large supermarkets and specialty food stores. Regular or turkey bacon may be substituted.
- To toast chopped walnuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Note: After washing the chard, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 62 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (346% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique