Chard with Shallots, Pancetta & Walnuts
For this simple sautéed chard, flavored with rich-tasting pancetta and walnuts, we prefer the milder taste of green chard.
- 2 thin slices pancetta, (1 1/2 ounces), diced (see Tip)
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add shallots, chard stems and thyme to the pan drippings and cook, stirring, until the shallots begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chard leaves, water and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook until tender, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat; stir in the pancetta, walnuts and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: Pancetta is an unsmoked Italian bacon usually found in the deli section of large supermarkets and specialty food stores. Regular or turkey bacon may be substituted.
- To toast chopped walnuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Note: After washing the chard, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 62 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 2 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 452 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (346% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique