Chard with Green Olives, Currants & Goat Cheese
From EatingWell: December 2006
Tangy green olives, sweet currants and creamy goat cheese turn chard into a sophisticated treat, just right paired with lamb chops.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chard stems, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chard leaves and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in olives and currants. Dot goat cheese over the top, cover and cook until the chard is tender and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 97 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 360 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (310% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006