Chard with Green Olives, Currants & Goat Cheese
From EatingWell: December 2006
Tangy green olives, sweet currants and creamy goat cheese turn chard into a sophisticated treat, just right paired with lamb chops.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 1/4 cup currants
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese, (2 ounces)
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chard stems, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chard leaves and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in olives and currants. Dot goat cheese over the top, cover and cook until the chard is tender and the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes more.
Tips & Notes
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 97 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 360 mg sodium; 504 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (310% daily value), Vitamin A (100% dv), Vitamin C (25% dv), Magnesium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006