Chard & Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Sweet and tangy hoisin sauce is a delicious base for stir-fried chard and bell pepper. You can substitute escarole for chard; reduce the cooking time to 2 to 3 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 pound chard, washed, stems diced, leaves shredded (6 cups)
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat. Stir-fry onion until they are translucent and slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, broth (or water) and hoisin sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chard stems and leaves, tossing to combine. Simmer, covered, just until the chard is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Per serving: 80 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 566 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (149% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994