Chard & Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Sweet and tangy hoisin sauce is a delicious base for stir-fried chard and bell pepper. You can substitute escarole for chard; reduce the cooking time to 2 to 3 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 pound chard, washed, stems diced, leaves shredded (6 cups)
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat. Stir-fry onion until they are translucent and slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, broth (or water) and hoisin sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chard stems and leaves, tossing to combine. Simmer, covered, just until the chard is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Per serving: 80 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 566 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (149% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)