Chard & Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Sweet and tangy hoisin sauce is a delicious base for stir-fried chard and bell pepper. You can substitute escarole for chard; reduce the cooking time to 2 to 3 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 pound chard, washed, stems diced, leaves shredded (6 cups)
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat. Stir-fry onion until they are translucent and slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, broth (or water) and hoisin sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chard stems and leaves, tossing to combine. Simmer, covered, just until the chard is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Per serving: 80 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 566 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (149% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994