Chard & Sweet Pepper Stir-Fry
From EatingWell: May/June 1994
Sweet and tangy hoisin sauce is a delicious base for stir-fried chard and bell pepper. You can substitute escarole for chard; reduce the cooking time to 2 to 3 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth, or water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1 pound chard, washed, stems diced, leaves shredded (6 cups)
- Salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a wok or large deep skillet over high heat. Stir-fry onion until they are translucent and slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add bell pepper, broth (or water) and hoisin sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chard stems and leaves, tossing to combine. Simmer, covered, just until the chard is tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with salt.
Per serving: 80 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 371 mg sodium; 566 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (165% daily value), Vitamin C (149% dv), Potassium (16% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1994