Chard & Chorizo Frittata
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
We love frittata recipes for weeknights because they are the ultimate no-fuss healthy dinners. In this gorgeous, healthy chard and chorizo frittata recipe, we add convenient shredded frozen hash browns to keep it hearty. Finish cooking the eggs under the broiler to turn the top of the frittata a lovely golden brown.
- 7 large eggs
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped chard (1 small bunch)
- 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, scallions, cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or broiler-safe nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chard and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hash browns. Pat the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and evenly spread to the edges. Cook over medium-high heat, lifting around the edges with a heatproof spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow under, until set around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run the spatula around the edges, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 384 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 12 g mono); 345 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 683 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2013