Chard & Chorizo Frittata
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
We love frittata recipes for weeknights because they are the ultimate no-fuss healthy dinners. In this gorgeous, healthy chard and chorizo frittata recipe, we add convenient shredded frozen hash browns to keep it hearty. Finish cooking the eggs under the broiler to turn the top of the frittata a lovely golden brown.
- 7 large eggs
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped chard (1 small bunch)
- 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, scallions, cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or broiler-safe nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chard and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hash browns. Pat the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and evenly spread to the edges. Cook over medium-high heat, lifting around the edges with a heatproof spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow under, until set around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run the spatula around the edges, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 384 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 12 g mono); 345 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 683 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2013