Chard & Chorizo Frittata
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
We love frittata recipes for weeknights because they are the ultimate no-fuss healthy dinners. In this gorgeous, healthy chard and chorizo frittata recipe, we add convenient shredded frozen hash browns to keep it hearty. Finish cooking the eggs under the broiler to turn the top of the frittata a lovely golden brown.
- 7 large eggs
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped chard (1 small bunch)
- 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, scallions, cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or broiler-safe nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chard and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hash browns. Pat the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and evenly spread to the edges. Cook over medium-high heat, lifting around the edges with a heatproof spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow under, until set around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run the spatula around the edges, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 384 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 12 g mono); 345 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 683 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- September/October 2013