Chard & Chorizo Frittata
From EatingWell: September/October 2013
We love frittata recipes for weeknights because they are the ultimate no-fuss healthy dinners. In this gorgeous, healthy chard and chorizo frittata recipe, we add convenient shredded frozen hash browns to keep it hearty. Finish cooking the eggs under the broiler to turn the top of the frittata a lovely golden brown.
- 7 large eggs
- 3 scallions (1/2 bunch), sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups chopped chard (1 small bunch)
- 1/2 cup finely diced Spanish chorizo or pepperoni (about 2 ounces)
- 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Whisk eggs, scallions, cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet (or broiler-safe nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat. Add chard and chorizo (or pepperoni) and cook, stirring frequently, until the chard is wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in hash browns. Pat the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and evenly spread to the edges. Cook over medium-high heat, lifting around the edges with a heatproof spatula to allow uncooked egg to flow under, until set around the edges, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the skillet under the broiler until the top is cooked and the eggs are slightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.
- To release the frittata from the pan, run the spatula around the edges, then underneath, until you can slide or lift it out onto a cutting board or serving plate. Cut into wedges and serve.
Per serving: 384 calories; 24 g fat (8 g sat, 12 g mono); 345 mg cholesterol; 22 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 3 g fiber; 683 mg sodium; 356 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (57% daily value), Vitamin C (22% dv), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 medium fat meat, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, Other
- September/October 2013