Champ (Mashed Potatoes from Ulster)
Traditionally, this dish is made with potatoes and scallions and topped with a great deal of butter. Substituting leeks for scallions produces a mellower flavor, one that doesn't require a rich finish. Yukon Golds also add buttery color and flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped leeks, washed
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine leeks and milk in another saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. With a potato masher, mash until smooth. Stir in oil and the warm leeks and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 213 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)