Champ (Mashed Potatoes from Ulster)
Traditionally, this dish is made with potatoes and scallions and topped with a great deal of butter. Substituting leeks for scallions produces a mellower flavor, one that doesn't require a rich finish. Yukon Golds also add buttery color and flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 cup chopped leeks, washed
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold salted water. Bring to a boil and cook, partially covered, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine leeks and milk in another saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. With a potato masher, mash until smooth. Stir in oil and the warm leeks and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
Per serving: 213 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 36 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 40 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less