Chèvre Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Goat cheese adds a creamy, slightly tart dimension to mashed potatoes.
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 ounces creamy goat cheese (chèvre), cut into small pieces
- 1/2-2/3 cup nonfat milk, heated
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, ricer or food mill. Stir in goat cheese and enough hot milk to make a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the potatoes and keep them warm for up to an hour by setting the pan in a larger pan of barely simmering water with a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the potatoes. Or reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 186 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 829 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 1995