Chèvre Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: May/June 1995
Goat cheese adds a creamy, slightly tart dimension to mashed potatoes.
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 ounces creamy goat cheese (chèvre), cut into small pieces
- 1/2-2/3 cup nonfat milk, heated
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water and add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher, ricer or food mill. Stir in goat cheese and enough hot milk to make a smooth puree. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the potatoes and keep them warm for up to an hour by setting the pan in a larger pan of barely simmering water with a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the potatoes. Or reheat in the microwave.
Per serving: 186 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 3 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 829 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Potassium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 medium fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- May/June 1995