Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Celery root is also known as celeriac; this creamy puree is an excellent accompaniment to Cumin-Crusted Sea Bass.
- 2 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons warm low-fat milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place celery root and potato in separate small saucepans. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes for potato, 20 to 25 minutes for celery root. Drain well.
- Place the celery root and potatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding milk, if necessary, to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, set the serving bowl over a wide, shallow pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the puree.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 7 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 1250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (36% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999