Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Celery root is also known as celeriac; this creamy puree is an excellent accompaniment to Cumin-Crusted Sea Bass.
- 2 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons warm low-fat milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place celery root and potato in separate small saucepans. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes for potato, 20 to 25 minutes for celery root. Drain well.
- Place the celery root and potatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding milk, if necessary, to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, set the serving bowl over a wide, shallow pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the puree.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 7 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 1250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (36% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999