Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Celery root is also known as celeriac; this creamy puree is an excellent accompaniment to Cumin-Crusted Sea Bass.
- 2 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons warm low-fat milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place celery root and potato in separate small saucepans. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes for potato, 20 to 25 minutes for celery root. Drain well.
- Place the celery root and potatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding milk, if necessary, to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, set the serving bowl over a wide, shallow pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the puree.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 7 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 1250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (36% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999