Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Celery root is also known as celeriac; this creamy puree is an excellent accompaniment to Cumin-Crusted Sea Bass.
- 2 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons warm low-fat milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place celery root and potato in separate small saucepans. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes for potato, 20 to 25 minutes for celery root. Drain well.
- Place the celery root and potatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding milk, if necessary, to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, set the serving bowl over a wide, shallow pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the puree.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 7 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 1250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (36% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999