Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
Celery root is also known as celeriac; this creamy puree is an excellent accompaniment to Cumin-Crusted Sea Bass.
- 2 medium celery root, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- Salt, to taste
- 2-4 tablespoons warm low-fat milk, if needed
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place celery root and potato in separate small saucepans. Add water to cover and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until very tender, 10 to 15 minutes for potato, 20 to 25 minutes for celery root. Drain well.
- Place the celery root and potatoes in a food processor and blend until smooth, adding milk, if necessary, to achieve a creamy consistency. Stir in oil and season with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep puree hot for up to 1 hour, set the serving bowl over a wide, shallow pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper on the surface of the puree.
Per serving: 220 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 42 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 7 g fiber; 364 mg sodium; 1250 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (36% dv), Fiber (27% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 5 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1999