Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but this celery root puree is a worthy competitor.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring milk, water and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; gently reheat on the stovetop, adding a little milk or water, if needed.
- Tip: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011