Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but this celery root puree is a worthy competitor.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring milk, water and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; gently reheat on the stovetop, adding a little milk or water, if needed.
- Tip: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011