Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but this celery root puree is a worthy competitor.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring milk, water and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; gently reheat on the stovetop, adding a little milk or water, if needed.
- Tip: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011