Celery Root Puree
From EatingWell: November/December 2011
Everyone loves mashed potatoes, but this celery root puree is a worthy competitor.
- 4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 cups water
- 3 pounds celery root, peeled (see Tip) and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring milk, water and celery root to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until very tender, about 30 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain.
- Puree the celery root, butter, salt and pepper in a food processor (or blender) until smooth and the consistency of thinned mashed potatoes. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, for the right consistency.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; gently reheat on the stovetop, adding a little milk or water, if needed.
- Tip: To peel celery root, remove the thick skin with a knife or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to make sure to remove the layer of the fibrous skin.
Per serving: 81 calories; 3 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 9 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 192 mg sodium; 368 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2011