Celery & Parmesan Minestrone
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
This simple healthy minestrone soup recipe cooks in less than 30 minutes and uses celery stalks, leaves and dried celery seed to flavor the delicious Parmesan-laced tomato broth.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced celery plus 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat orzo or other small pasta
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 3/4 cups cooked chickpeas or cannellini beans or one 15-ounce can, rinsed
- 1/4 cup packed grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or wide shallow soup pot over medium heat. Add diced celery, onion, carrot, garlic, celery seed and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook, uncovered, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, chickpeas (or beans), half the celery leaves and 1/4 cup cheese. Cook over medium heat until steaming-hot, 3 to 5 minutes. Ladle into bowls and garnish with the remaining celery leaves and a light dusting of cheese, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 199 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 6 g fiber; 562 mg sodium; 579 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (43% daily value), Folate (28% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv), Potassium (17% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...