Celeriac & Parsnip Mash
From EatingWell: Fall 2003
Tangy and aromatic, celeriac (or celery root) has long been a staple in French cooking. Here, it's combined with parsnips and russet potatoes for a side dish worthy of your favorite bistro—or trattoria, because we've relocated the dish south, from Paris to Tuscany, using olive oil and Parmesan cheese. The potato is kept separate from the celeriac and parsnip because it gets gluey when pureed in a food processor.
- 1 medium celeriac, (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium parsnips, (about 3/4 pound), peeled and cut into 1-inch slices, thick ends quartered
- 1 large russet potato, (about 3/4 pound), peeled and quartered
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons low-fat or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place celeriac and parsnips in a large saucepan; cover with lightly salted water. Place potato in a medium saucepan; cover with lightly salted water. Bring both saucepans to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until the vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork, about 20 minutes for the potato and 30 to 40 minutes for the celeriac and parsnips.
- When the potato is tender, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher. Cover and keep warm. When the celeriac and parsnips are tender, drain and transfer to a food processor; process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add the puree to the potato.
- Meanwhile, combine broth and oil in a saucepan (or measuring cup) and heat on the stovetop (or in the microwave) until steaming. Stir into the puree, along with 2 tablespoons chives, yogurt, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan. Garnish with the remaining 1 tablespoon chives. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover the puree with parchment paper or foil and keep warm over a pan of barely simmering water for up to 1 hour. (Alternatively, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days; reheat in the microwave.)
- Look for round celeriac globes with smooth, tight, papery skins. Fewer indentations mean easier peeling. But do clean out whatever indentations there are.
Per serving: 186 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 407 mg sodium; 637 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Fall 2003
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)