Celeriac, Cress & Spinach Salad with Parmesan Crisps
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The big flavor of sherry vinegar mixed with mustard, oil and garlic in the dressing for this healthy spinach salad recipe serves a dual purpose: marinade for the roasted celery root and a dressing for this side salad. Little rounds of crunchy Parmesan crisps look fancy, but are easy to make and add a perfect textural contrast and salty counterpart to the earthy and spicy greens and sweet-tart cranberries.
- 1 small celery root (12-16 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small clove garlic
- 4 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 bunches upland cress, roots trimmed, or 8 cups watercress, tough stems trimmed
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/3 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Cut one end off the celery root to create a flat surface to keep it steady. Cut off the skin with your knife, following the contour of the root. Or use a vegetable peeler and peel around the root at least three times to ensure all the fibrous skin has been removed. Cut into 1/2-inch cubes and toss in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper until well coated. Spread out on a baking sheet (reserve the bowl). Roast the celery root, stirring once or twice, until lightly browned and soft, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop and mash garlic with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt on a cutting board until a paste forms. Scrape the garlic paste into the large bowl and whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar and mustard.
- Add the celery root to the dressing and toss to coat; let cool in the dressing.
- To prepare Parmesan crisps: Reduce oven temperature to 350°. Line a large baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat or generously coat with cooking spray.
- Divide Parmesan into 6 little piles on the prepared baking sheet and spread each into a 2-inch disk. Bake until the Parmesan is melted completely and lightly browned, but not too dark, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes on the pan, then use a firm, thin spatula to remove.
- Add cress (or watercress), spinach and cranberries to the celery root and season to taste with more pepper; lightly toss to coat. Serve each salad with a Parmesan crisp.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 3) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 141 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 384 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (58% daily value), Vitamin C (46% dv), Calcium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)