Cauliflower with Gruyere Sauce
Plain steamed or microwaved cauliflower turns into something extraordinary when you cover it with this rich-tasting twist on a classic cheese sauce.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 2 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives (or parsley), garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (145% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less