Cauliflower with Gruyere Sauce
Plain steamed or microwaved cauliflower turns into something extraordinary when you cover it with this rich-tasting twist on a classic cheese sauce.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 2 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives (or parsley), garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (145% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less