Cauliflower with Gruyere Sauce
Plain steamed or microwaved cauliflower turns into something extraordinary when you cover it with this rich-tasting twist on a classic cheese sauce.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 2 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives (or parsley), garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (145% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less