Cauliflower with Gruyere Sauce
Plain steamed or microwaved cauliflower turns into something extraordinary when you cover it with this rich-tasting twist on a classic cheese sauce.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets, (about 1 head)
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1% milk, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Gruyere cheese, (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh chives, or chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic, (1 small clove)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place cauliflower florets in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 2 to 4 minutes.)
- Meanwhile, whisk flour with 2 tablespoons milk until smooth. Heat the remaining milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Add the flour mixture; cook, whisking, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Gruyere, chives (or parsley), garlic, salt and pepper. Spoon over the cauliflower and serve.
Per serving: 136 calories; 6 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 386 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (145% daily value), Calcium (24% dv), Folate (23% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable