Cauliflower & Red Lentil Curry
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Serve over rice.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine lentils, onions, curry powder, salt, turmeric and water in a large saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes, cauliflower and jalapeno peppers and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 10 seconds. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne and immediately add the oil-spice mixture to the cauliflower mixture. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and cayenne.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 1993