Cauliflower & Red Lentil Curry
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Serve over rice.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine lentils, onions, curry powder, salt, turmeric and water in a large saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes, cauliflower and jalapeno peppers and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 10 seconds. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne and immediately add the oil-spice mixture to the cauliflower mixture. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and cayenne.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 1993