Cauliflower & Red Lentil Curry
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Serve over rice.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine lentils, onions, curry powder, salt, turmeric and water in a large saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes, cauliflower and jalapeno peppers and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 10 seconds. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne and immediately add the oil-spice mixture to the cauliflower mixture. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and cayenne.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 1993