Cauliflower & Red Lentil Curry
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Serve over rice.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine lentils, onions, curry powder, salt, turmeric and water in a large saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes, cauliflower and jalapeno peppers and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 10 seconds. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne and immediately add the oil-spice mixture to the cauliflower mixture. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and cayenne.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)