Cauliflower & Red Lentil Curry
From EatingWell: September/October 1993
Red lentils turn yellow when cooked. Serve over rice.
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups water
- 4 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped, or one 14-oz. can tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 jalapeno pepper, halved, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Combine lentils, onions, curry powder, salt, turmeric and water in a large saucepan over low heat; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened, about 45 minutes. Add tomatoes, cauliflower and jalapeno peppers and simmer, covered, until the cauliflower is tender, 8 to 10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and cook for about 10 seconds. Add garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until the garlic is lightly browned, about 1 minute. Stir in cayenne and immediately add the oil-spice mixture to the cauliflower mixture. Stir in lemon juice, cilantro and sugar. Taste and adjust seasonings with additional salt and cayenne.
Per serving: 184 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 8 g fiber; 335 mg sodium; 812 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- September/October 1993