Cauliflower with Lemon & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Tangy lemon and briny olives perk up simple steamed cauliflower.
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-cured or kalamata olives
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower, cover and steam until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from lemons with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl, cut segments from the membranes. Coarsely chop the segments and transfer to a serving bowl. Squeeze juice from the lemon peel and membranes and add 1 tablespoon of the juice to the bowl with the segments.
- Add oil, shallot, water, thyme, salt and pepper to the serving bowl. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Sprinkle with olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 89 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2010