Cauliflower with Lemon & Olives
From EatingWell: January/February 2010
Tangy lemon and briny olives perk up simple steamed cauliflower.
- 1 large head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-cured or kalamata olives
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add cauliflower, cover and steam until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, remove skin and white pith from lemons with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl, cut segments from the membranes. Coarsely chop the segments and transfer to a serving bowl. Squeeze juice from the lemon peel and membranes and add 1 tablespoon of the juice to the bowl with the segments.
- Add oil, shallot, water, thyme, salt and pepper to the serving bowl. Stir to combine. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Sprinkle with olives. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Per serving: 89 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 199 mg sodium; 387 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (110% daily value), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 2010